Those quizzes last week were bu** kickers! Something that was surprising to me was that there were hardly any questions that were keyed as "correct" being the correct answer. I have been conditioned by years of test taking to suppose that there should be a roughly even distribution of correct answers, and was manipulated by this paradigm while taking the test. I would look at the long sequence of “incorrect’s” on my answer sheet, and assume that there had to be more that should be marked as “correct.” Falsely believing in an equal distribution of answers influenced me to ignore the substance of the questions being asked. I stopped answering questions and started trying to make an even distribution of responses. I think that life can be like this too. Sometimes I attempt to judge between right and wrong by comparison to the standards of others. My only standard should be Christ’s. I cannot excuse myself from doing what is right just because others are mistaken. I think this concept is easy for me to believe and apply when thinking of the standards of Hollywood, but I have more difficulty when I try to discern the right action for myself to take by comparing with my friends and family. My friends and family are stellar, I love, respect, and admire them. That does not mean that I am justified in conforming to the standard instead of Christ’s. “Therefore, be very careful. If you judge your actions and the standards of the Church on the basis of where the world is and where it’s going, you will find that you are not where you should be” (Elder Hales). Now what? I am recommitting to do what is right and let the consequences follow, especially in regards to the activities I do with my friends.
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/04/stand-strong-in-holy-places?lang=eng
No comments:
Post a Comment