Saturday, February 8, 2014

Food Fight!

"We scheduled zone conferences. For each one, Sister Packer baked a three-tiered cake, … decorated beautifully—thick, colorful layers of frosting, trimmed beautifully, and with ‘The Gospel’ inscribed across the top. When the missionaries were assembled, with some ceremony we brought the cake in. It was something to behold!

“As we pointed out that the cake represented the gospel, we asked, ‘Who would like to have some?’ There was always a hungry elder who eagerly volunteered. We called him forward and said, ‘We will serve you first.’ I then sank my fingers into the top of the cake and tore out a large piece. I was careful to clench my fist after tearing it out so that the frosting would ooze through my fingers, and then as the elders sat in total disbelief, I threw the piece of cake to the elder, splattering some frosting down the front of his suit. ‘Would anyone else like some cake?’ I inquired. For some reason, there were no takers.

“Then we produced a crystal dish, a silver fork, a linen napkin, and a beautiful silver serving knife. With great dignity I carefully cut a slice of the cake from the other side, gently set it on the crystal dish, and asked, ‘Would anyone like a piece of cake?’

“The lesson was obvious. It was the same cake in both cases, the same flavor, the same nourishment. The manner of serving either made it inviting, even enticing, or uninviting, even revolting. The cake, we reminded the missionaries, represented the gospel. How were they serving it?" - Story of President Packer as published in Teaching, No Greater Call

Presentation matters. If I care about my message, I need to work to present it in a way that will be received well. Now what? Most of the preparation I do before I teach has to do with my persoanl understanding of the message I will share. In addition to this important form of preparation, I am committed to spending at least 20 minutes preparing how I will present before teaching this week.

5 comments:

  1. This is a way awesome story to illustrate the importance of preparation. I will definitely keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If I care about my message, I need to work to present it in a way that will be received well." This line from your post really jumped out at me. Not everyone cares about their messages and frankly their presentations aren't top notch. That is awesome that you see that and get that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the hook (video) and the story to help illustrate your message. You did a great job just in your blog to present the message and make it clear for us to understand. The analogy was very clear and I know I need to do much better in my presentation. I have started to incorporate some of the things I've learned in the training I have been doing with my team members at work--but there is definitely more I can do. Thank you for your clear message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cade, I like that story. It is so applicable in so many areas of life. The more we care about things the more others will care too. It's a simple life application that can get you a long ways. If you want people to care about your presentation you need to present it like you care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RU-FI-OHHHH!

    What can I say? You got me "Hooked." Great insight on how to put effort in presenting a message.
    Much like the three-tiered cake that Sister Packer made for the missionaries, I think your post appeals to me on multiple levels. A great video that is applicable, a great story from a general authority, and personal comments that tied it all together and provided a good ending. Presentations are meant to be enjoyed. I can tell that you enjoyed making this one.

    ReplyDelete