“The internet is this big.”
The internet is huge! I don’t understand where it keeps itself and puts all of its stuff. In class, as we were learning going through the library’s MCom website, I was amazed by the quantity of information available. Reflecting on the vastness of information that is so easily accessible to us, I think of a statement of T.S. Eliot as quoted by Elder Oaks: “‘wisdom’ is ‘lost in knowledge’ and ‘knowledge’ is ‘lost in information’” (https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2001/04/focus-and-priorities?lang=eng).
Information
Information is abundant. We have the resources that would allow us to acquire new information every waking hour of the day and still not make a dent in what is available. It has been estimated that it would take around 60,000 years to read only the books cataloged in the library of congress (Stefani, http://somanybooksblog.com/), and there is a lot more information available than in just those books!
Knowledge
Knowledge is like nourishment derived from a wholesome diet. As we analyze, ponder, and mentally digest information, we can obtain knowledge. Often, action and application will be required for information to be transformed into knowledge.
Wisdom
Wisdom can be defined as the ability to apply knowledge properly. Having the knowledge to do a homework assignment is not the same as having the wisdom to complete it. Likewise, having knowledge about the gospel and the purpose it brings to our lives does not necessarily mean we are wise. Wisdom is a choice.
So what?
As I study my scriptures this week, rather than gathering loads of information and insights, I will spend more time planning how to develop and apply the insights I gain.
No comments:
Post a Comment