Friday, March 21, 2014

The Flinstone Chart



When Prof Middleton told us she was going to teach us how to use  a flip chart I thought she was joking.  I thought it might be a little less useful to learn about flipcharts than it would be to learn how to use Fred Flintstone's car.  Though I am not completely sold on the idea yet, I saw value in the flipchart for classroom excursions and group projects.

I love using the whiteboard while I am teaching, but I also love walking around outside while I am teaching.  The flipchart might allow me to have my cake and eat it too.  While Prof Middleton was demoing the chart, I imagined a nature walk with my missionaries where we were able to sit in the grass and do group work on our flipchart.

I also liked the idea of being able to write on a page, stick it on the wall somewhere, and work on another page at the same time.  I think this could still be done on a whiteboard, but sometimes it’s nice to write on paper.  

So what?  Rather than converting to using a flipchart, I am going to invest in a large sketch book.  I’ll have the paper available for the uses I want, and stick to Prezi for presentations.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah the idea of using a flip chart seems a little archaic but it's useful isn't it? Great lesson and a great reminder that there can be a lot more benefit in simple things than meets the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cade Dopp, I believe you are wrong. You sir is da man, a gnarly beast of epic proportion. That is all.

    ReplyDelete